Saturday 22 June 2013

Quest to find the new Doctor Who

Jealous?  Yes, I have my own TARDIS!
I don't envy the producers of Doctor Who this particular quest. Since the announcement was made earlier this month that Matt Smith (the Eleventh Doctor) would be leaving the series during the Christmas special this year, the search has been on to find the Twelfth Doctor.

Last time round, Steven Moffat had planned to cast an older actor, but was so taken with Matt Smith's audition that the young actor was chosen instead.  So, will Steven go with that earlier instinct and choose an older actor this time?  We've already seen John Hurt teasingly featured as The Doctor and he's also due to make an appearance in the 50th Anniversary episode on Saturday 23rd November.  Or will Steven defy convention and cast a woman in the role?

I've been a fan of Doctor Who since my childhood - my first Doctor was Four (Tom Baker).  The scarf!  The jelly babies!  K9!  I particularly remember the giant rats in the sewers of London in 'The Talons of Weng-Chiang' and an episode where ivy (??) was completely covering an isolated mansion house (no idea what episode that was though).

My 'Ace' badge
So I've avidly kept watching through quite a few Doctors - Peter Davison (Five), Colin Baker (Six), Sylvester McCoy (Seven), Paul McGann (Eight) - of the old series, and was beyond thrilled when Doctor Who was brought back in 2005 with Christopher Ecclestone (Nine).  My favourite of the new series has to be the Tenth Doctor, David Tennant.

And, to add to my geekiness, I once dressed up as Ace (one of the Seventh Doctor's companions) to a fancy-dress party.  I don't have any pics of me in my costume (as far as I recall!), but I do still have the badge I made out of Fimo for the occasion.

Are there any particular actors you'd like to see cast as the Twelfth Doctor? Or would you rather a complete unknown was given the role?


No comments:

Post a Comment